The demand for house cleaning services is increasing rapidly across the country. However, the supply is limited and that puts you in a position of privilege if you are a house cleaner. On the other hand, if you need to hire house cleaning professionals for your home or business, you can search for “cleaning services near me” and choose a reputed pro. Let’s figure out how you can begin your career as a professional house cleaner.
- Responsibilities of a typical house cleaner – There are different types of cleaning jobs in the market including those that are specially designed for industrial waste and for sterilizing environments during a pandemic. However, a house cleaning job has a basic structure with set responsibilities. As a house cleaner, you’ll need to mop and sweep floors, dust, vacuum, and sanitize different surfaces.
You’ll also need to empty out trash bins and replace their liners. For the bathroom, you’ll need to clean stains off of showers, sinks, and toilets and sanitize them as well. In some cases, you may also need to clean windows and wash dishes. On the other hand, there are some house cleaning jobs that come with even higher pay, a higher position, and more responsibilities. It includes laundry services, locking up a property before you leave, stocking and ordering cleaning supplies, maintaining cleaning equipment, and coordinating with cleaning teams.
It’s important that you understand the role that is demanded from you on a house cleaning job listing. Prepare for that mentally. Some jobs may even contain deep cleaning that demands heavy work. However, it’s best to avoid cleaning jobs at a company that requires you to bring your own cleaning supplies. Compare it with other cleaning job roles and accept such a job only if the compensation is high enough to cover the cost of cleaning supplies.
- Physically demanding job – Being a professional house cleaner is a physically demanding job. It’s very different from the regular house cleaning you do for your own home. It is labor intensive and quality standards need to be met to keep clients satisfied. You’ll often have to tackle at least three or four cleaning jobs on a regular basis and be quick and efficient at it.
That’s why you need to be mentally prepared for the training period at a cleaning company. It’s similar to preparing for a marathon. During the training period, you’ll need to get in shape so that you can do repetitive and physically demanding chores. The first week is going to be a challenge. You’ll feel like you’re doing an intense workout without having done any exercises over the last couple of years. If you can’t endure and be brave through the first week of training, this job isn’t for you.
- Qualifications for the job – When you’re applying for any job in the US, you’ll need to provide a Police Clearance Certificate that shows that you don’t have any criminal history. You can apply for this certificate at your local police station. Whether you apply for a job at a cleaning company, go independent or start your own cleaning company, this certificate is going to be an asset that provides your clients, or your employer peace of mind.
Apart from that, you may also need to show your high school graduation certificate and past work experience. If you don’t have any work experience in the cleaning industry, consider doing some volunteer work or taking up a few independent gigs from friends and family so that you can make your resume more impressive.
- Applying for cleaning jobs – Since professional house cleaning is a booming industry, you can find several job listings from local recruitment agencies, online on social media, or directly apply to a vacant position in a big cleaning company. You have three options when you choose this career. You can either apply at an existing cleaning company, do independent gigs or start your own cleaning company. Let’s figure out which one is best for you.
- Applying at a cleaning company – Applying at a cleaning company is fairly easy since they always post job listings on social media, banner ads, and on various other physical and digital platforms. There are also various recruiting agencies that are always looking to connect you to an appropriate cleaning company. However, they will take a certain fraction of your income for the first couple of months or a flat fee for that service.
When you apply to a cleaning company, you get the supplies, training, and other resources and a steady flow of clients. Moreover, there’s an opportunity for steady growth if you are good at your job. You can start off as a regular cleaner and climb up your way to a team leader or trainer or higher positions.
- Go independent – The other option is going independent. However, there are certain advantages and disadvantages that come with it. While you work on your own terms, you have to constantly put yourself out on social media, craigslist, and other such platforms to get cleaning gigs. You also need to buy your own cleaning supplies, do the paperwork yourself, and take care of other business overheads and responsibilities.
- Start a cleaning company – Consider starting a cleaning company only when you have had a few years of experience in the industry and have a big pool of investment. Starting any company, irrespective of its size is a big endeavor and you need to make sure that you have the connections, tools, and clientele to start turning a profit within a few months.
Professional house cleaning isn’t an easy job. It is a labor-intensive job that requires extra attention and care when you’re cleaning someone else’s property. However, it is equally rewarding and has a high payout. On the other hand, you can search for “cleaning services near me” and hire pros to keep your home clean if cleaning seems like a difficult chore.